Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Gift & The Curse


We all know the saying, "With power comes great responsibility," but what is the companion to awareness? Grassroots movements, political campaigns, and corporations all rely on the concept of awareness/awareness raising, in order to advance their agendas. This is a logical and sometimes noble aim, but often, awareness without action is fundamentally useless. It's like standing at an ATM trying to take out money when you have $19.95 in your account -- ain't nuthin' gonna happen! (credit to a forgotten comedian for this image). Awareness is supposed to be empowering whether it's in mental health, education, or public policy. It should be the spark before the flame, or the realization that causes revolution. Awareness needs something backing it up, otherwise it is rendered life-less rather than life-giving. Now, let's have some fun with a tautology: 

Premise: Knowledge = Power = Responsibility
IF: knowledge is power
AND: awareness is tantamount to knowledge 
THEN: awareness is power 
THEREFORE: Awareness = Responsibility 

If you are aware of something and do nothing, you might as well be oblivious because your awareness has done nothing to affect your actions. In this age of information overload, there is too much going on in the world that we are aware of, to sit by idly doing nothing. I am now finding that I can no longer exist like this. Through my experiences thus far as a counselor-in-training (C-i-T) and just generally becoming a more conscious A-i-T, my awareness of the world around me, my own thoughts/feelings/reactions to it, and even a heightened sensitivity to what is going on with others is really opening my eyes to how myopic my vision was before. Though I am an African man who has spent the majority of his life on foreign soil, through my classes and readings I am now more aware of the impact of race/racism, heterosexism, and even the invisible male privilege I carry around. I am more aware of the many "marginal" identity badges that people wear in this society and the plethora of "isms" that ride alongside. I am also becoming more aware of how critical social justice is within this and any society. As a result, I now see how many cracks there are in the image of what could be an immaculate society if we only took action to make it so. 

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men/women to do nothing"   

This awareness is a gift...I can see, understand, and experience more than I ever could before. It's like Neo in The Matrix proclaiming, "I know Kung-fu!" At the same time, I feel cursed...because I can't turn it off! Everywhere I go, and with everything I see and do, there is now a heightened level of awareness. I find myself, asking myself what is the deeper meaning, and how does it affect me/others? It's like having a computer program running in my mind's recesses 24/7, but with constant pop-ups when it detects something. What in the world do I do with this?!?! Do I rage against the machine, or simply was poetic on my blog and call it a day? 

Why not both? My future profession calls me to advocate for my clients, and on a higher level, for social justice. My faith and my humanity compel me on an even deeper level to do the same. In the past, I have shied away from being vocal when I encountered certain situations in public and even from approaching certain topics on my blog. Today is a new day, and the difference I can make is a large or as small as my sphere of influence. This blog falls within those bounds. From now on, I hope this blog can support those hard but necessary conversations, because they are part and parcel of what it means for us to be A-i-T's trying to get our grown folk on. I hope to use the power of this blog (whatever that might be) to responsibly turn awareness into action through the sharing of knowledge and diverse perspectives. 

The gift and the curse...well, that all depends on what we do with it... 

Fellow A-i-T's, what are you doing or going to do with your gifts? 

Peace,
A-i-T

No comments: