Sunday, July 11, 2010

Sidewalk Casanova

I've said this over and over again, but dang, it's hard being a woman! (speaking from personal experience, of course) From NY to Paris and elsewhere, from the streets to the boardroom, women are constantly being approached by men (young and old), unsolicited -- who misguidedly think they are performing a public service by reminding women how good they look, just in case they somehow forgot that day. Frankly, I don't know how y'all put up with it and some of us men sometimes. It's embarrassing, and occasionally it crosses the line, but I gotta admit, sometimes its just funny to watch.

I was walking down the street this morning, and in classic fashion, another Sidewalk Casanova spots a woman who peaks his interest. He stops dead in his tracks, swivels his head like a sweeping surveillance camera, and with the seriousness of a judge delivering a sentence says something earth shattering like, "Hey ma, you look beautiful, can I talk to you for a minute?!" As if this brilliant, one-time-use observation automatically merits him some face time during this woman's day. What kills me sometimes is how bold these men are and the "righteous" indignation they show when the woman rebuffs their ever so well thought out, sincere, and earnest supplications for the woman's attention.

I'll never forget my wife telling me about her and her friends' misadventures with various Sidewalk Casanovas. One of my favorites involves the 4-year old son of a would-be SC who told my wife's friend, "you beautiful!" while his father was hitting on her. Apparently, it was take your son to work day, and Street Don Juan Jr. was shadowing his father at the office. Apparently, Fisher Price has a, "My First Pick-up Line," division I was unaware of. Another one of my favorites just illustrates how nothing is sacred anymore and Street Casanovas will stop at nothing to get the math that adds up to a phone conversation with a woman in the near future. A kid, no older than 17 was hitting on my wife with the typical lines, when she told him that she had a man. Unfortunately, Positive K's 1992 classic, "I Got a Man" helped Street Casanovas everywhere to reply "What's your man got to do with me?! I ain't tryin'a hear that see!" So homeboy persisted, until she finally told him that she was married (we were engaged at the time). He paused, momentarily defeated, and then with the audacity of a streaker at a sporting event he said, "yeah, but are you happy?"

WHAT!!! ARE YOU FOR SURRIOUS?!?! Yeap...as Sarah Palin on oil drilling!

I fell on the floor laughing, but this incident was kinda scary cos...is truly nothing sacred anymore? Not even marriage seems to be off limits (Check out my previous post: Have an Affair...)? Undoubtedly the nature of male-female relationships has been evolving or devolving depending on your perspective, but into what? Seemingly gone are the days of serious courtship, "going steady," etc. replaced by the current era of friends with benefits, the overall hook-up culture, and websites like adultfriendfinder and cougarlife.com (fodder for future blog posts - the radio commercial for the latter is hilariously disturbing). The issue lies on both sides. On one hand, men need to come correct and approach women with the respect they deserve. On the other, you ladies need to search out and sternly lecture that one girl who was like, "OMG, I loved your pick-up line! Here's my actual phone number, call me!" Cos with men, all it takes is that one girl to inspire hope that it can/will happen again - y'all know Darrel right?

Call me old-fashioned, but when did it become okay to disrespect women with sophomoric come-ons that just add more C02 to the endangered atmosphere each time a Street Casanova opens his mouth? This summer is hot enough already, we don't need any more greenhouse gasses making things worse.

At the end of the day, the most interesting man in the world put it best -- see the video below...

A-i-T Ladies, what is the most comically memorable Street Cassanova encounter you have had? Men, has a woman so fine ever brought out your inner Street Cassanova?

Peace,
A-i-T

4 comments:

Kuuku said...

I enjoyed the insight on this one. For me there's only one pick up line ("Hi, What's your name?") everything else is just cheese.

Jessica P said...

OMG so very true. The best one happened recently as I was walking home. A 21 year old young fella practically followed me (he looked like he was 16). I was trying to be polite because afterall that's what we're socialized to be right. My politeness made him think he had a chance unfortunately. I kept telling him that I was too old for him lol. He said "age aint nothin but a number"

Tammy Tam said...

If "I got a man" doesn't work, you can always try "I AM a man". lol. That will stop the SC and maybe make him think twice about what he's doing!

Adult-In-Training said...

@Degraft: I believe most women would concur with that pick up line as the best...
@Jessica: following is mad creepy, and all these CSs have comebacks thanks to all the practice they put in!
@Tammy: LMAO!!! "I AM a man" will prolly scare every SC in a 5 block radius...that's a good one! Have you used it before?