Friday, September 25, 2009

What is (Age) Appropriate Dresscode? Part 2: For the Fellas...


I recently received an email from a close friend of mine after he read my post on dress code for the 25+ set (What is (Age) Appropriate Dress Code?), and he made some great comments/statements which I thought I'd share and attempt to respond to: 

"Seriously, what is the appropriate dress code for 26-somethings??? When I'm not working, I never know what to wear anymore. Also, how much should I be looking to spend to overhaul my closet?  I don't have the luxury of a woman's touch in my household..." 

For those guys out there who don't have a girlfriend/fiancee/wife editing your closet and using you like a life-size Ken doll, upgrading your style/overhauling your closet can certainly be a challenge. Though my wife has been a great help, I'm still tryin' to figure this stuff out for myself...because at the end of the day, it's got to be my comfort and my style.

Fortunately or unfortunately, for us men, our clothing choices are somewhat limited. When we go to work, it's either a suit and tie or whatever degree of "business casual" your office operates by. The toughest decision we have to make is what color shirt to wear and to make sure our belt matches our shoes -- some of us don't even get that far. What then do we do for the approximately 54 hours (Friday - Sunday) where we actually get to choose our look?!?! 

Disclaimer: I am not a fashion expert by any means. I am not necessarily up on the latest trends, but I do try to pay attention. I am mos def NOT a label chaser. What I am is a guy who does his best to look neat (I iron a lot, my wife/friends will tell you), and I never wear anything that doesn't work/complement my body type. In this piece I'm not going to tell you what to wear, but rather, how to...  

Figure out "what you want to look like:"
-Pick a style icon/trend that you can identify with -- in other words, find some inspiration. This icon can be anything from your favorite male celebrity to that guy at your office or favorite hang out spot that always looks sharp. I'm not advocating biting anyone's style, but I am saying to take notes.
-Check out your favorite men's magazine (both print and online) such as GQ, Men's Health, Esquire, or Ecko's Complex magazines for fashion ideas, tips, and current trends to help get a sense of what's out there. You can't create your new style if you don't know what your options are...

Start assembling your look by buying "pieces" NOT outfits:
-Once you identify what you like and you think will look good on you, go out and start trying and buying pieces here and there. This will allow you to gradually transform your overall look. Sometimes all it takes is a nice fall jacket, a great watch, a fresh pair of kicks, or even finding a store where clothes just fit better in order to transform your whole appearance...
-The idea is to be able to mix and match. If you go out and buy a full OUTFIT...it's hard to take one piece Out Of It and wear it with something else...
-Right now more tailored shirts and slimmer fitting jeans are in. For most guys with an average to athletic build, a well tailored shirt and less baggy jeans will give you a leaner and cleaner cut look. For slightly shorter guys like myself (5ft.7), this look even helps you look a little taller... 

Shop within your budget and don't sleep on discount retailers:
-Don't go and break the bank to upgrade your style. Fly + Broke = Not a Good Look
-For me, Express and H&M have been invaluable in helping me change/upgrade my style without spending too much...the styles are fresh and always reflect the latest trends without high fashion prices -- and the quality is pretty good.
-Don't forget about the Gap/Old Navy, Filene's Basement, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Loheman's, and other such stores. You're gonna have to dig...but if you go in knowing what you're looking for...when you find it, the price will make it all worth it...

Above all...have fun with it and don't try and follow trends blindly. Just cos it's hot right now does not mean it looks hot on you... 

I hope this was helpful...please let me know if you have any additional input or if I missed anything...

Peace,

A-i-T

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Shouldn't personal style be all about the individual? I know that girls love to try and make over her boyfriend/fiance/husband but they should refrain. We can't change others and that should include what your partner wants to wear. I would think guys know what they like and can choose for themselves.

Adult-In-Training said...

@Katie: personal style certainly is ultimately all about the individual, but sometimes people could use, at the very least, a second opinion. I agree that no partner in a relationship should try and change the other, but trying to change someone's character is a lot different from trying to get them to dress a little "better" (yes that is subjective and personal). I think most men would agree that women have better taste/instincts when it comes to fashion, and ultimately, a woman just wants her man to look his best. I'm not advocating that men allow their woman to pick out their clothes, but acknowledging that most men don't mind their better half making a few suggestions as long as the woman is not trying to change a hipster into a prepster...
The point of this article though was to help guys figure out how to choose their style, and then it's up to them to make it their own...so hopefully they'll be fly before the Mrs. comes into the picture...

Katherine said...

you men are so lucky! you get the uniform, which every female covets. if girls could have a staple look that they just had to put variations on every day to make it their own style, it
would be all good.
i'm referring to the all encompassing suit, which looks sexy on every man, is appropriate in basically every social situation/social circle, is super easy to find adn buy, and still affords one room to rock their own style (blazer or just shirt, tie or no tie, unbuttoned top, cuff
links, color of shirt,wallet, shoes, etc. etc.) hello, looking good in a suit is easier than finding a starbucks. i am NOT feeling your pain on the ostensibly elusive outlet for men's style. you guys have it so
damn good!

Hoek Choi said...

Though I agree that men generally have it easier than women with fashion, there are subtle yet very distinct accents that set apart the "I just got outa college and trying to fit in New York" from the men who are confident in their skin and deliberate in their dress. Like Nii said, a classy watch, a pair of fresh kicks or even adding another simple layer of color could make the outfit.

Being a teacher, my students are my hardest critics, and it's been more than a few times when my students have commented, "mmm, mmm. Mr. Choi, that shirt and that tie ain't likin' each other today. What were you thinking?" However, since I've gotten married I've gotten comments more on the lines of, "Oh Okaaay Mr. Choi! What you know about them shoes?!" Needless to say, I'm all for my wife playing Ken doll with me.
--
www.urbanclay.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

This is my personal dress philosophy:

The pants lay the foundation and from there I dress them up or down. Say we start with a good looking part of jeans, put a nice t-shirt on it and you are super casual, put a crisp long sleeve shirt on, and you are South Beach. Needless to say I have a disproportionate amount of shirts to pants, hehe.

I like to take a girl shopping with me every now and then to get some perspective. Makes a good date. :D