Monday, August 3, 2009

Put on Your Oxygen Mask First…

They say that if three or more people tell you the same thing (about yourself) it must be true. Well for me, one of those things is that I’m “too nice.” That may not sound like a problem, but I can be nice to the point that it’s occasionally detrimental to me.

Whether you believe in God or not, we all have issues that He or we are trying to work out in our lives. I am a firm believer that until we learn that lesson, we will keep on finding ourselves in situations that test that area of weakness (read, opportunity for growth) in us. I tend to take care of others before taking care of myself, sometimes making secondary priorities of things that are critical to ME.

The reason they tell us on airplanes to put our oxygen mask on first is so that we will have the breath in our lungs and the presence of mind to help those next to us. What good is it if you are suffocating while trying to help someone else? You both may lose…

I don’t mean to be morbid but this is a serious yet simple lesson I’m trying to learn. When you take care of yourself (not to the point of selfishness) and you have your priorities in order, you then have the opportunity to look around and see how you can be of help to others. The order and stability that you have created in your life affords you a solid platform from which you can be of value to others. In other words, if you and your crew are individually and collectively a hot mess – how useful can any of you really be when someone else is in crisis?

Adults-in-Training, what lessons do you feel like you haven’t passed yet? And what areas in life do you feel like you still need to put your oxygen mask on first?

Peace,
A-i-T

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Loving it! I never really follow blogs but what you are talking about and the topics you bring up are soo relevant to the season of my life. I already felt encouraged by your post yesterday. There are def areas of my life where I see I've recently been more challenged in. I didn't see them as weaknesses God wanted to bring out and that I was failing at them constantly, even though I felt unfilled in certain situations. I love spiritual family for this reason. Thank you so much for your time and effort in this blog. I'm def bookmarking your page :)

Michael Bustos said...

I stumbled on this post when I was looking for a Oxygen mask illustration for a friend. She was having trouble justifying buying vitamins for herself even though I was telling her they would give her more energy to be a better mom. Great post and thanks for helping me illustrate my point!

If we don't feel loved by God, it's impossible for us to love others. We're going to put the same kind of restrictions on others that we think God has on us.

Check out what the Bible really tells us about who we are in Christ. We can't do anything to make God love us more than he already does. And if you believe that, you gotta believe that we can't do anything to persuade God to love us any less!